Main Site Gallery Programme HomeHelpSearchLogin  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Print
Feeling Blue (Read 1923 times)
Marie Phelan LIPF

Camera Club Member

Feeling Blue
06. Apr 2013 at 10:54

This little primula popped up before Winter decided to bite back and the others are slowing trying to pop out now.  
Marie

The_first_primula.jpg (238 KB | 142 )
The_first_primula.jpg

IP Logged

Michael Kelly
Camera Club Administrator

Camera Club Member
Wexford
Re: Feeling Blue
Reply #1 - 08. Apr 2013 at 10:50

Nice image Marie, signs of Spring, however late, are always welcome. Mike

IP Logged

Vladimir Morozov AIPF

Camera Club Member
Wexford,Ireland
Reply #2 - 09. Apr 2013 at 11:09

Very interesting Marie, in line with your other still life studies, they did well in competitions by the way:)
Could you expand on it bit more: how did you get them dropletsin?

IP Logged

Marie Phelan LIPF

Camera Club Member

Reply #3 - 09. Apr 2013 at 14:52

Thanks Mike.  When this primula arrived I appreciated it more than the daffodils or other spring flowers around.  It was the way I felt at the time.

Thanks too Vladimir for your comments and interest.  It gives me a boost to read you say it is in line with my other still life studies.  I like to think there is a good bit of me in them.  This could help me if I use them to gain a distinction.  As you see I am experimenting and I will do other stuff but continue with this so I do not lose the chance to get something good - eventually.  So the droplets story.  I printed up an enlarged image of an Iris abstract which was mostly purple/blue and green.  I used this as a background and made sure it was out of focus.  I have a green glass/vase which has very lively looking drops raised on the surface of the glass.  In certain conditions it makes an attractive shadow pattern.  I photographed this pattern and had it on my memory card.  I set up my still life with the flower outside a blue jug type vase I have and I was happy that the rain drops were still on the flower.  After that I made a sandwich of the two images in the camera adjusting each in terms of strength of image.  I thought the shadow image would add interest to my still life in that it might turn out to be subtle.  As it happens I thought it worked well because the underlying colours of the main image were not too strong and mixed well in the sandwich leaving the primula still clear and the droplets visible.

I am also happy you say my images did well in the competition.  Another little boost. Thanks for the info!

Marie Smiley

IP Logged

Barry Walsh

Camera Club Member

Reply #4 - 09. Oct 2013 at 10:22

THis is a beautiful image.  Very well processed with lots to see in it.

IP Logged

Marie Phelan LIPF

Camera Club Member

Reply #5 - 10. Oct 2013 at 10:09

Thanks Barry - I am glad you like the image.  It did not print up as well as it looks on the screen, but I still like it.  Maybe I need to give it a tiny boost in post processing.
Marie

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Print