Welcome, Guest. Please Login
YaBB - Yet another Bulletin Board

Main Site Gallery Programme HomeHelpSearchLogin  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Print
The Guillemot. (6 images + Text) (Read 2325 times)
John Stewart
Camera Club Administrator

Camera Club Member

The Guillemot. (6 images + Text)
18. Mar 2011 at 20:00

The Guillemot is being dismantled as we speak. I have heard a lot of comments about what a disgrace this is but it seems that the people who care about this do not have the money or the wherewithal to do anything to save it. I tried to find some information on line but there is little available. I found the following on the Commissioners for Irish Lights website.

Built 1921/23 by Cran & Somerville, Leith; length 102 feet, breadth 24 feet, depth 12Ĺ feet; construction all steel; five watertight bulkheads; steel mast and fixed lantern; mizzen mast carrying day mark; masts for wireless; cost £17,700; sold in 1968 to Wexford Maritime Museum Committee. Towed by ILT Atlanta to Rosslare. Taken in tow over Wexford Harbour Bar. Moored alongside quay at Wexford. Subsequently moved to Kilmore Quay and set in concrete.

This is the only photograph I can find in my collection, to date anyway, showing the Guillemot moored on Wexford Quays. It is scanned from a colour negative.

This is the ship moored in concrete at Kilmore Quay. I am led to believe that she was bedded in concrete following a storm in January 1990 which did severe damage to the harbour and caused the ship to break from her moorings.

Vandalism is cited as one of the reasons why maintaining the ship at Wexford Quays proved untenable. It seems the local authorities were not in a position to undertake it's upkeep.

According to press reports Wexford County Council had to take action on the grounds of health and safety.

So now the ship is being cut up for scrap. According to a local I spoke to earlier this week the steel is quite valuable. "Pre nuclear" were the words he used. I looked it up and it does exist.

So that's it. No going back now.

IP Logged

Alan Rossiter

Admin
Wexford
Re: The Guillemot. (6 images + Text)
Reply #1 - 18. Mar 2011 at 20:33

Nice documentary John. It's worthwhile keeping this record as in the next generation they won't believe you that it was embedded in concrete (correct, because of a storm) and was situated where it was. If you're ever on Facebook and are at a loose end have a look at "Remembering Wexford" where there's a wealth of photographic history and with some of the knowledge to go with it. Forum member Nicky Rossiter started it and it's a joy to see. You probably already know about it.

Alan

Wexford Camera Club
IP Logged

Paul Shannon

Camera Club Member

Reply #2 - 20. Mar 2011 at 11:55

well done john its sad to see her go i dont think kilmore will be same without her.

paul

IP Logged

John Ryan

Camera Club Member
Wexford
Reply #3 - 21. Mar 2011 at 22:59

Nice post John, heres a few additions...

John Ryan

IP Logged

Michael Kelly

Camera Club Member
Wexford
Reply #4 - 22. Mar 2011 at 08:47

Good work John, there are lots of projects, like this, so well worth capturing for posterity. Mike Smiley

IP Logged

John Stewart

Camera Club Member

Reply #5 - 22. Mar 2011 at 09:48

Alan Rossiter wrote on 18. Mar 2011 at 20:33:
Nice documentary John. It's worthwhile keeping this record as in the next generation they won't believe you that it was embedded in concrete (correct, because of a storm) and was situated where it was. If you're ever on Facebook and are at a loose end have a look at "Remembering Wexford" where there's a wealth of photographic history and with some of the knowledge to go with it. Forum member Nicky Rossiter started it and it's a joy to see. You probably already know about it.

Alan

Hi Alan,

Thanks for the reply.

Yes I think it's worthwhile documenting our surroundings and fun too.

That facebook page is very good.
It's interesting too how a photograph that might not be the best technically or maybe not even interesting when it was taken can become most interesting with the passage of time.

Cheers,

John.

IP Logged

John Stewart

Camera Club Member

Reply #6 - 22. Mar 2011 at 09:50

Many thanks to Mike and Paul for your kind comments and to John for his reply and additional photographs.

John.

IP Logged

Vladimir Morozov AIPF

Camera Club Member
Wexford,Ireland
Reply #7 - 08. Apr 2011 at 22:56

Hi John,
Excellent images!this is a very good post mortem to a legendary ship.I think it is a good idea to post as many images of this ship as we can.Surely everybody shot it once.Would be quite a collection!Here is one from me:

kilmore_quay-2-2.jpg (75 KB | 118 )
kilmore_quay-2-2.jpg
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Print